On 2/15/07, Roman Naumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

does someone know, how to increase the "history-buffer's size" of the
terminal? (and I mean the pure terminal, without an X-Server)
I mean, if I use some commands producing plenty of output, I cannot scroll to
the beginning of the text quite often, because the history buffer is to
small.

Another inconvenient thing is that the buffer seems to "forget" everything
except the last screen of text, if I switch to another terminal. (alt + F2
for instance).

How can I make the history buffer larger, or - if possible - set it
 infinitely large. (Just as the "Konsole" of KDE.)

Thanks,

Roman Naumann.

I don't know about making it "infinitely" large, but you can have a
scrollable console history with vesafb (probably with other
framebuffers aswell, but I've only had experience with vesafb).  Check
out /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt for more information.

You'll have to compile your kernel with vesafb, and run the vga kernel
argument to set the size of the console.  I believe there is some sort
of kernel option (that you should be able to find with a minimum of
searching) that sets the size of the buffer in bytes...

From there, it is as easy as pressing shift-pgup and shift-pgdown to
scroll through your buffer.

Hope this helps.
--