Alan,
   Seems reasonable. Would I (Could I?) then do an equery depends on
each binary and assuming nothing depends on it remove them by hand
without causing damage?

   I'd want to do another revdep-rebuild every so often to ensure that
things remained consistent.

Makes sense to me - doing the equery on the package that installed the binary (which may have a name unrelated).

IIUC, there are two tools useful for second/third opinions for this task; dep and pquery. Here's an example of their use on fftw:

dep -L fftw

pquery --vdb --revdep sci-libs/fftw

And as you idicated, do a revdep-rebuild after the manual deletion.