On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Ric de France wrote:
> Hi list(s),
>
> I was looking through the dynamic USE flag page (
> http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml ), and noticed there were
> some flags that brought in evolution support... but after realising I
> don't used evolution (as I am happy with thunderbird), I was
> wondering how to remove evolution from gnome once and for all...

You can't so it with USE flags as evolution is a hard dependency on
gnome-base/gnome:

RDEPEND="!gnome-base/gnome-core

        [snip irrelevant depends]

        >=gnome-extra/gtkhtml-3.12.2
        >=mail-client/evolution-2.8.2.1
        >=gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-1.8.2
        >=gnome-extra/evolution-webcal-2.8.0

So, if you emerged gnome, you's-a-gonna get evolution. Instead, you
should unmerge gnome (it's just a meta package), then merge
gnome-light. This is a minimal set of packages that gnome must have to
work at all.

Then run emerge -pv --depclean to see what portage wants to remove. To
prevent this, you must select the packages you want to keep from that
list and explicitly put them into world with

emerge -avn <list of packages>

Then rerun emerge -pv --depclean again, and if you are happy losing
what's in that list, let it run without -p

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,
Pessimists say the glass is half empty,