On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 12:35:13PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
> Hi all,
>
> Kernel 2.6.20-gentoo
>
> My various /dev/loop/* devices used to always JustWork, until a recent
> update. Unfortunately I can't tell when the breakage happened.
>
> Right now what happens is I don't get these devices automatically
> and 'mount - o loop' fails. A simple 'modprobe loop' fixes this, the
> kernel is configured as I've been using it for ages:
>
> config-2.6.20-gentoo:CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m
> config-2.6.20-gentoo:CONFIG_KMOD=y
>
> Oddly, I never had 'loop' in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 before
> (I do now), anyone know of a recent change that would cause this?

  If you want loopback devices to "just work", they should be compiled
into the kernel, like so...

make menuconfig
Device Drivers  --->
Block devices  --->
<*> Loopback device support

  My guess is that somewhere along the line, the "<*>" got changed to a
"<M>".  Change it back to "<*>", recompile the kernel and any necessary
modules, and reboot.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca