On Thursday 22 February 2007 01:45, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 February 2007, "pat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
> > 'Re:
> >
> > [gentoo-user] ramfs - is it necessary ???':
>
> First, I think the OP is confused between ramfs and initramfs.Not quite
> the same thing...

Yeah, I hoped I cleared that up with my first reply.

> But the thread has become about initramfs so we'll stick with that

I think this is more what the OP was concerned about.

> And the OP should keep in mind that the initrd format was dumped many
> many kernel versions ago and these days we use initramfs,

I am fairly certain I was still using my custom initrd (not an initramfs)
until 2.6.17 -- I'm fairly sure 2.6.20 still *supports* initrd format, even
if initramfs is preferred now.

For the life of me, I always found it easier to get an initrd working
rather
than an initramfs -- the whole chroot/exec vs. pivot_root vs. switch_root
step always failed for me when using an initramfs (and the very same shell
script worked as an initrd).  Also, a script-made initrd is still just a
compressed filesystem, easy to deal with, but a script-made initramfs
(particularly one made by genkernel) is not just a cpio archive, it's a
series of them separated by some !!!!KERNEL_MAGIC!!!! strings in the middle
of binary data -- nearly impossible to work with using standard tools.

At least, that's been my experience, others may have found the process
easier.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))