On 2007-02-23, Hamie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I was bying ATI cards because the open-source driver supported
>> DRI (it was a bit flakey, but it mostly "just worked"). But,
>> that ended with the 92xx series.  My experience (and the
>> general consensus, AFAICT) is that the NVidia closed-source
>> drivers are far less problematic than the ATI ones.
>>
>> I've got a 3 year old ATI card that ATI doesn't support at all
>> anymore with Linux drivers.  I've got a 6 year old NVidia card
>> that still works perfectly and all I had to do is "emerge
>> nvidia-drivers"
>>
>> So I think NVidia is the way to go in general.
>>
>> [The problem is that you don't get much of a choice with
>> laptops.  My IBM ThinkPad was too good a deal to pass up even
>> though it came with an ATI M300.]
>>

> If you have anything up to X600 (Maybe even X700) graphics
> (basically 9600 on PCIe) then the open source drivers should
> work fine...

I know the OS driver is supposed to work -- and it did work for
a while -- at leastit worked in in a manner: the frame rates
weren't very good and there were a lot of noticable rendering
glitches.

Then one day after an "emerge update", the open source
driver no longer worked: any time an OpenGL program ran, the X
server crashed.  I futzed around with the open-source DRI
driver for a while, but was unable to get it to work again --
so I gave up and switched to ATI's driver (which ATI has now
abandonded).

Once I get the ATI drivers to work, they seem to work well (at
least for me) with much higher frames rates than the
open-source driver and no noticable rendering problems.

> Mine is an X1400 sadly, so I don't even get LCD native
> resolution without the damned ATI drivers (Because it's flakey
> as hell with their DRI, and suspend to RAM doesn't work...
> Still... So why even bother).

Next time I'm picking NVidia if I can...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want to kill
                                  at               everyone here with a cute