070223 John Blinka wrote:
> when I edit configuration files in /etc,
> vim likes to insert a leading "# " in new lines
> following existing comment lines.
> That's almost never what I want to do
> and I have to delete the # and space before doing what I intended.
> I've got the latest stable versions of vim, vim-core
> and gentoo-syntax installed on my systems.
> Anybody know how to turn this behavior off?

I tested with a file in  /etc  & it doesn't happen for me.

> I don't even know where to look in the vim documentation.

Google 'vim automatic comment' finds sect 30.6 of the Vim User Manual,
which covers something similar; also

  http://ianua.initd.org/vimit/vim63/html/change.html#fo-table

which seems to cover what you describe under options 'r' & 'o'.

Perhaps this will get you started, if no-one else has more precise info.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]