Hans-Werner Hilse napsal(a):
Hi,

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:07:52 +0100 (CET) paulie.x <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So to the OP: Configure your terminal accordingly (for console: set
consoletrans and -font correctly) or if you didn't yet, install a
unicode-aware terminal program.
It is not true because I'm already using UNICODE in terminal.
Just man pages are still displayed worst. When I uncompressed one local
man page and viewed raw text (cat man.1 | less) in my terminal, I can
see correct UNICODE characters (among format sequences).

Did you read the comment in man.conf? It says there is a problem with
double conversion to unicode but basically tells to use "nroff -mandoc"
without -T option for utf-8 output.

Sorry, but these are all my suggestions left...

-hwh

OK. This is in /etc/man.conf:

# Useful paths - note that COL should not be defined when
# NROFF is defined as "groff -Tascii" or "groff -Tlatin1";
# not only is it superfluous, but it actually damages the output.
# For use with utf-8, NROFF should be "nroff -mandoc" without -T option.
# (Maybe - but today I need -Tlatin1 to prevent double conversion to utf8.)
#
# If you have a new troff (version 1.18.1?) and its colored output
# causes problems, add the -c option to TROFF, NROFF, JNROFF.
#
TROFF           /usr/bin/groff -Tps -mandoc
NROFF           /usr/bin/nroff -Tascii -c -mandoc
JNROFF          /usr/bin/groff -Tnippon -mandocj
EQN             /usr/bin/geqn -Tps
NEQN            /usr/bin/geqn -Tlatin1
JNEQN           /usr/bin/geqn -Tnippon
TBL             /usr/bin/gtbl
# COL           /usr/bin/col
REFER           /usr/bin/refer
PIC             /usr/bin/pic
VGRIND
GRAP
PAGER           /usr/bin/less -is
BROWSER         /usr/bin/less -is
HTMLPAGER       /bin/cat
CAT             /bin/cat

Original gives for czech (cs_CZ.UTF-8 locale) word "zformátuje":

with origianl settings: "zformAituje"

I tried this changes:

NROFF           /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc

TROFF           /usr/bin/groff -Tlatin1 -mandoc
NROFF           /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc

NROFF           /usr/bin/nroff -Tutf8 -c -mandoc

TROFF           /usr/bin/groff -Tlatin1 -mandoc
NROFF           /usr/bin/nroff -Tutf8 -c -mandoc

but all gives "zformátuje".

Maybe this is just some stupid and irrelevant problem. But I think that
good localization and i18n of Gentoo will be good for linux on desktops
( show that linux can do it ;] ). And probably I'm not such a good
programmer to find others mistakes (But I'm interested to know the cause).