On Sunday 25 February 2007 19:58, Grant wrote:
> It occurred to me that if the shorewall firewall on my headless router
> doesn't start for whatever reason, I'll be totally exposed.  Is there
> a way to protect against that?

Well, you'll get an error during boot that iptables did not come up.  I assume
that shorewall is only run when you change the script and
otherwise /etc/init.d/iptables is run as a default service after boot.

Anyway, a closed port remains closed whether a firewall is running, or not.
An open port is hopefully protected by decently strong passwds/authentication
mechanisms.
--
Regards,
Mick