Hi,

On 2/26/07, Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Monday 26 February 2007, Marco Schuler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after using other distributions for years I finally decided to go
> with gentto to have to most flexibility. So here I am :-)
>
> I got trough the gentoo installation up to the point of installing
> grub. After the command 'grub-install /dev/hda' my machine hangs
> displaying the following meassage:
>    Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time

You are installing grub to an IDE device. Is that how you normally
address that device? It might be a SATA drive

The device that I am installing grub to is a IDE device. So the
addressing should be ok. It is also mounted as /dev/hdaXY.

What is the contents of your device.map file? I've seen that cause grub
to search endlessly for a device that isn't there

As yesterday, I don't have my notebook at hand. I will check tonight.
What should be the content of device.map? Is it generated by grub?

--
Cheers,
Marco