The subject says it all, really. The kernel recognizes the serial port and
assigns it /dev/ttys0, as dmesg confirms, but any attempt to access
/dev/ttys0, including those made by minicom, setserial and a little test
program that merely opens the file, fails with an "input/output error". This
annoys me to no end. Help is appreciated.

System specs:
kernel 2.6.18-gentoo-r6
x86_64 (AMD)
MSI K8N Diamond Plus