Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Monday 26 February 2007, Dale wrote:
>

>> It may be the wrong tool, but it has always worked before.  I tend to
>> use what works.  I said this in a reply somewhere before.  By the
>> time I get good at using a command, like the now extinct etcat, they
>> change it to something else with a whole different set of options.
>>  I'm hoping things will settle down then I can learn all this once.
>>

> kwrite is an editor designed to edit smallish files, similar but
> slightly better than notepad. Like all small editors, it probably loads
> the entire file into memory before displaying it, and it gets very
> confused with some contents, thinking that they are blocks of code that
> can be collapsed.
>
> The program landscape will never settle down and leave you with a
> definite set of programs - Linux lives, breathes, grows and evolves
> almost exactly the way human societies do - always changing, always
> adapting and never the same in any two places.
>
> A few base programs you can rely on though - like less. It's a file
> viewer, designed to make it easy for you to look at the contents of
> files. It's also the thing that displays man pages. I highly recommend
> spending the few minutes it takes to get used to using it. It runs from
> a terminal, which is also worth spending some time to get used to it.

I use a terminal a lot.  I use less pretty often too.  It's just that I
got used to Kwrite and it was working fine for me.  I don't knock what
is working.  ;-)  I always use man to display man pages.  Am I weird?

>> Of course, if you wish to share a few commands with options and what
>> they do, that may help.  I'm not sure I even know what all the
>> commands are right now.  I got to much on my brain right now.  It is
>> like mush.
>>
>> hmmmm, I have used less for a lot for things but not files this big.
>>  I could wear out my page down key.  LOL  At least I don't have to
>> look into the emerge.log very often.  That's good.
>>

> big files the size of emerge.log (8M on my machine) is exactly what less
> excels at. The most useful key is of course "/" which lets you enter a
> string of text to search for, then 'q" to quit and "h" displays a help
> screen
>
> alan

My thing is getting to the bottom of the page in one key stroke.  Maybe
I need to man less and read a bit.  :/

Oh well, time to learn something I guess.  It seems Kwrite is off the
path for a while.

Dale

--
www.myspace.com/dalek1967