On 2/27/07, Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:

[ snip lots of useful bacground info]

> > 2. If you never had gnome installed but did have evo installed,
> > then removed evo, everything looks proper.
> >
> > So, let --depclean do it's thing. Then emerge -uND world and run
> > revder-rebuild to fix anything that remains.
>
> Based on my response above should I be doing this? From the info I
> posted earlier if I emerge -C jasper, as --depclean wants to do, then
> it seems it will just be emerged again at emerge -DuN world.
>
> I'm happy to do it if it's the right thing to do. I'm just not
> understanding why it should fix things.

You have 15 packages that appear to be problematic, which leaves you
with two realistic options:

1. Spend ages tracing each dep down and seeing what gives, or
2. Just run emerge --depclean followed by revdep-rebuild and emerge -uND
world anyway. Sure, it will take some extra compile time, but it will
also filter out the packages that you actually don't have to worry
about.

I'd recommend #2, which will hopefully leave us with a much smaller list
of packages to investigate.

alan

Hi Alan,
  OK, I preceded to let emerge --depclean do it's job and then ran
revdep-rebuild. It said only samba needed to be rebuilt. When that was
complete everything seems clean and happy. No more deps to clean out,
emerge -DuN world has no work to do and revdep-rebuiild says
everything is cool.

  Thanks to you and Bo for your help so far.

  Now on to solving why Evolution is crashing. Hopefully I can get a
good backtrace.

Thanks,
Mark