I am perturbed that beagle has grabbed 99% of CPU time.  If I kill it,
within 5 seconds another process is spawned, again grabbing 99%.  I
don't even USE beagle.  Is it possible to unmerge it without affecting
other programs?

If I understand correctly, I have found the following to be quite good
for indexing and rapid searching of defined directories:

app-misc/glimpse

As an added bonus, together with glimpse comes "agrep" or "almost
grep" that can search like grep with a specified number of spelling
errors.

I will unmerge beagle just to see what will happen.

Alan

On 3/2/07, Roger Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Albert,

Albert Hopkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  A good solution would be a tool that actually indexes files
> in the background, and perhaps automatically when a file is
> changed/added/removed.  And not just text in files but also other kinds
> of metadata.  And when I click that file/data/whatever it would be cool
> if it automagically opened the appropriate viewer and took me to the
> exact location of what I am searching for. Pretty much a one-stop shop
> for searching my stuff.

pinot (http://directory.fsf.org/pinot.html) may do what you want.  It
is not in portage but most of its dependencies are.

Roger

Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     1-670-256-2043

I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
must share it with other people who like it.
--------Richard Stallman

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute
rejection of authority.  ----- Thomas H. Huxley

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a
while, you realise the pig is enjoying it.
        -- Jamie Lawrence.