I did an emerge --update --newuse world and it keeps trying to build
gcc-3.3.4 and ends in errors.  Upon further inspection, I found that I
already have gcc-4.1.1-r3.  Everything was working prior to that, and I
couldn't understand why it kept asking for gcc-3.3.  I went through a whole
lot of equeries and headbanging to find the package that wanted gcc-3.3.
libstdc++ itself didn't seem to want it, but im not that good at reading
ebuilds just yet.

I checked the ebuild of virtual/libstdc++ and it gives me an  rdepends of  =
gcc-3.3.*

But I already have >gcc-4.1.  Nothing seemed to be not working with my
system then prior to the upgrade.  So I made an overlay with anrdepends of
=gcc-3.3.  I continued trying to emerge and voila gcc-3.3 wasnt in the list
anymore.

I wonder if I'll break something this way.  playing with libstdc++ sounds
scary, but I don't want to compile gcc when I already have a working one.

any ideas why virtual/libstdc++ asks specifically for 3.3?  And was it a bad
idea for me to do what I just did?
--
thing.