On Mittwoch, 7. März 2007, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:22:24 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> > The only way out is to hit the reset button: eg Ctl-Alt-F2 doesn't work.
>
> If you have MAGIC_SYSREQ enabled in your kernel config, you can do a
> clean reboot fro the majority of lockups by holding Alt and SysRq and
> pressing S, U and B in sequence, which respectively sync your drives,
> unmount them (and remount read-only) and reboot.

but U will not work, when processes are hogging the harddisk.

So start with E (terminate all processes), I (Kill all processes), and then S,
U, B.

Or even better, start with R and K. Sometimes you can wrestle control from X
that way and get your box back into a working state, without rebooting.

And the best thing - there is even a builtin help....