Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov wrote:

> On 3/10/07, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I will begin by stating my problem.  I have the source code (in
>> *.tar.bz2 format) for a couple of pieces of software that are not in the
>> Portage tree at all.  I would like to compile and install them in such a
>> way that I can use them, and even so Portage recognizes them.
>
> You most likely want to install that software in /usr/local as per
> Gentoo's filesystem layout [1]. The way you can do that with
> autotoolized software is like this:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> make
> make install
>
> I don't know what you mean by making Portage recognize the software
> installed this way. Do you want Portage to be able to uninstall and/or
> upgrade this software? If so, the simple answer is you it can't do
> that. You have to manage the software outside of Portage yourself.

That's exactly right, which is why it goes into /usr/local. You can however
notify portage that you have a certain package on your system
with /etc/portage/package.provided - I used this for that kde-env script
that was moved last year, as certain pkgs in the tree still depended on its
ebuild, but it had been moved to kde-libs (which it blocked.) I unmerged it
to get kde-libs, and put an entry in package.provided for pkgs which still
had a dependency on it. Once the tree had all been updated I deleted the
entry.

package.provided
  A list of packages (one per line) that portage should assume have been
provided. Useful for porting to non-Linux  systems. Portage will not
attempt to update a package that is listed here unless another package
explicitly requires a version that is newer than what has been listed.

So in that sense portage will recognise the software for dependency
calculation. You should be aware of that last bit; I recommend reading man
portage for more explanation. (Oh and man -k is useful if you've not heard
of it.)

HTH,
steveL