Daniel D Jones wrote:

> My son recently started complaining that my replies to his emails caused
> his computer to prompt for the system disk and showed up blank.  (He uses
> Windows and Outlook, unfortunately.)  If I send him a new email, it works
> find.  If I reply to his, it causes problems.
>
> I took a look at my replies to him and found this:

> I looked at his email, to which I was replying,  and found:

> There is no charset line in his email headers.

In this case, Content-Type and charset declarations will be contained in the
various parts of the message. I. e. search for boundary markers - the
Content-Type declarations should be immediately below them.

> Anyone have a clue as to why Kmail might be setting the reply to charset:
> iso-8859-6, which is Arabic?  I can't find anything in his emails to cause
> this.

Go to
Settings / Configure Kmail... / Composer / Charset
There you should see a list of charsets KMail tries to use for encoding
outgoing mail. Maybe this list contains iso-8869-6.

Regards
  mks