On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:12:07 +0100, Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:

> I've googled for hours as well, but I have no clues but one: Enabling
> support for the PCI IDE/PATA Controller apparently pushes the device
> names for the on-board IDE/PATA controller (e.g. /d_ev/hdd becomes
> /dev/hdh).
>
> Is that even possible? That the extra PCI ATA-Controller takes
> precedence over the on-board Controller?

There is a kind of logic to that; if you fit a bootable PCI controller,
there's a good chance you want to boot from it, so it appears first.

If your root partition is not on this controller's disks, you can compile
the driver as a module, then /dev/hd[a-d] will already be allocated to
the onboard controller before it is loaded.

--
Neil Bothwick

Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away