Probably a PEBSAC

If so, that's ok I'm willing to learn. Like the title says, if I log in as
root /root/.bashrc and /root/.bash_profile are sourced. However if I login
as BYoung and am authenticated by the NIS server (SFU on aWindows Domain
Controller), then /home/BYoung/.bash_profile and /home/BYoung/.bashrc are
not sourced. As workaround, I've added: "source ~/.bash_profile"  as the
last line of /etc/profile, and that works, but of course .bash_profile and
.bashrc get executed twice when I log in as root.

I'd like to fix this the right way, pointers and/or advice greatly
appreciated, and if I'm just doing something stupid, let me know.

TIA
Bob Young
San Jose, CA