On Wednesday 28 March 2007, "Jeff Rollin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'SOLVED: Recover from LVM errors? (Was: Re: [gentoo-user] Help -
system reboots while compiling)':
> Ignore the following if you don't like minirants.
(My reply probably needs the same disclaimer.)

> 1. Frankly, I'm not impressed with Linux in this case*. /var is not a
> "mission critical" filesystem in the sense that if it contains errors,
> it can still be mounted and the errors don't necessarily mean the
> system won't come up.

By that definition, no filesystem I can think of is "mission critial", they
will all withstand some damage and still let your system come up.  /var is
*at least* as important as /usr -- I can easily recover the contents
of /usr in case of critical failure, but reconstructing /var is damn near
impossible.  Also, /usr can generally be very useful with just r/o access,
while /var needs to be r/w to fill it's role.

Also, forcing a mount of a damaged filesystem is asking for trouble.
Dangling inodes (or similar) can cause cascading failure; at best some
processes will read garbage and crash (or, ideally, "magically" recover)
at worst good data on the disk will be overwritten with bad. File locks on
a damaged filesystem are meaningless since two files (not simply two
dirents like with a hard link, but two unrelated files) might share disk
sectors.

The system should definitely refuse to mount damaged file systems by
default or *at the very least* mount them read-only.  I wouldn't mind and
interactive prompt to force mounting a damaged filesystem, but I'd need a
way to turn that off for unattended systems.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))