Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> RAID-3?/5/6 can self-repair like this, but the checksumming is done at the
> stripe, rather than inode level.

AFAIK, RAID-5 doesn't self-heal except for the specific case where a bad
block is detected by the hardware, so the RAID driver knows which drive
has the bad stripe. If the parity is just inconsistent, there is no way
of knowing which drive's stripe should be reconstructed.

RAID-6 OTOH should be able to do that.

> Surely, a filesystem should not shy
> away from sanity checks that can be done with little overhead besides CPU
> time, but adding a checksum to each block might be a little overkill.

As long as performance is OK, I am willing to sacrifice the space for
the per-block checksum.

BTW, 10 drives? Nice setup!

-- Remy