On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:20:21 -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> Please tell me there is some way to tweak my /etc/conf.d/wireless (or
> anything for that matter), so that I can tell it, "hey, when connecting
> to 'MATRIX', always use 802.11b and/or a certain channel range
> (presumably in the 'b' range)".

You can do this globally for the interface, with channel_ath0. You could
probably use the preassociate() function to do it on a per-essid basis.
See wireless.example.

> Furthermore, it would REALLY be great if I could do something whereby,
> if I have net.eth0 (i.e. CAT5 cable) then don't start net.ath0, else
> try net.ath0. Right now I have net.ath0 disabled by default because I
> hate when it starts up when I'm plugged in at work, as my traffic seems
> to go over the "slower" ath0 rather than the faster eth0 port. ?! I
> have ifplugd installed, but I don't think it can manage this kind of
> (seemingly obvious and intelligent) decision.

ifplugd's task is to signal when eth0's cable is connected or
disconnected, not make decisions about other interfaces for you.

Use the pre-up function in /etc/conf.d/net.

preup() {
        if [ ${IFACE} == "ath0" ] && /etc/init.d/net.eth0 --quiet status
        then
                return 1
        fi
}

This will prevent ath0 starting if eth0 is connected.

--
Neil Bothwick

Is that "woof" feed me; "woof" walk me; "woof" there's a burglar? What??