Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 08:49 -0400, Colleen Beamer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having a problem.
> [snip]
>>  and then, the laptop shuts off on me.
>
> It does sound like an overheating thing, as already mentioned,
> especially since you had overheating problems before.

I sincerely don't think it's an overheating problem for this reason:  I
reposted this message with an "addendum".  The addendum was that I had
tried the installation with the Live CD using a gui interface.  I had
started this late at night and went to bed.    The kernel compile again
bombed, but the laptop did not turn off - it was still on when I got up
the next morning.

> Can you confirm that _all_ fans are working?  I thought I only had 2
> fans, but there are actually 3, so watch out for hidden ones!  Also, you
> could use the dell kernel module (i8k) to force your fans to full speed
> and see if that helps.

I'll try this suggestion.  I am in doubt that it would be the fan
because the fan was just replaced under warranty by Dell

> Another possibility is your memory - maybe its going flaky?  This is a
> common compile problem that gives varied results (lockups, panics,
> halts, etc).  Try different ram if you have it, or only half your ram at
> a time if you have 2 sticks.  You could also try the memtest bootable
> cd.

Will consider memtest as an option, but again, the memory is reasonably
new - it was upgraded recently to have more memory on the laptop.

Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Colleen.
--