First of all thanks for your replies, guys!
I'll try to answer to all of you in one (longer) response:

Dave Jones wrote:

> Daniel complained about the sshd messages, not iptables messages.
>
> I fully agree that he should implement pub/priv key authentication, but
> even so, that will not prevent the flood of ssh messages in syslog.
>
> Adding an unlogged iptables DROP target rule for port 22 will suppress
> the messages, but not the attacks.
>
> The botnet / script kiddie morons are a pain in the (anatomy of choice).
>
> Cheers, Dave

[OT Start]

Couldn't agree more with this. I bet the most of those "hackers"
wouldn't know what to do even if they get the password. ;-)
Sometimes I need to log in that machine from unpredictable IP addresses
and I don't have a memory stick with me all the time to keep my ssh key.
So, I use keyboard auth. with several extra security measures: only 1
non-root user with very long name and password can log-in. This user
gets "su - another-user" instead of real shell and as I said I have a
script which checks every minute for auth. errors and blocks the
corresponding IP addresses. So, I would say brute force won't work.
Additionally I'll consider changing the default port as Mick advised.
As Darren stated there is a possibility for someone to make DoS attack
on the tar pit system. AFAIK it exploits exhausting the available
RAM+swap of the tar pit machine. In my case I'm experimenting with an
old box which serves no purpose therefore I (almost) don't care even if
someone gets root prompt there.

[OT End]

On the subject:

Dave,
The dedicated tar pit machine has kernel "2.6.19-gentoo-r5", arch="x86".
The patch applied OK as far as I can tell. I answered with "y" only to
the "tarpit" patch. Additionally such a target appeared in the kernel
config:
>grep tarpit -i .config
>CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TARPIT=m

I admit I didn't do "svn update". I didn't do "make clean" or "make
mrproper" before patching either. Tomorrow I'll do the test again with
fresh sources and report what happened.

Bye and thanks again!

--
Best regards,