On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 04:11:42PM +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote

> Which risk? Which mess? There is not a risk, if you use oldconfig.

  With oldconfig, 99% of the updates seem to consist of added support
for exotic raid controllers or network cards.  Since my system has been
running OK for the past couple of years without the new features, I
obviously don't need them.  I end up hitting "N" all the time.

  I got bitten in the latest stable kernel (2.6.19-r5).  It moved SATA
support out of SCSI, and into a separate section altogether.  I plowed
through "make oldconfig", hitting "N" for every option.  Because I have
a SATA drive, the result was kernel panic when I rebooted into the new
kernel.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?