With any OS the limiting factor is the intelligence of the user in setting up
and securing things. Any experienced windows user knows what can be stopped and
stripped out and what needs patched. An experienced windows user will make sure
(s)he has adequate firewall and antivirus software.

However, put an idiot in front of a default ubuntu desktop and an idiot in
front of a default windows desktop and I reckon the windows one will still be
messed up first. There are compromises everywhere in Linux - and a lot of it
comes down to ease of use vs power, security and flexibility. Windows is about
as flexible as a brick but its easier to use. Gentoo is in my opinion often
right at the other end of the spectrum - if you want a totally locked down
secure flexible powerful desktop Gentoo can do that but it requires a little
effort and a little knowledge. It's this aspect of Linux I love - I'm a tweaker
and a fiddler and I like to tweak and fiddle with my desktop :D

tl;dr crew: Ubuntu may not have a perfect security model but it's still better
than windows and a great way to get people at least curious about linux.

David "Monday Mornings .... ugh" Nelson

--
djn

I do not represent anyone else in emails I send to this list.