Hi Markus

Markus Schönhaber wrote on 03/04/07 13:15:

>> Recently there has been a lot of unpleasant noise about conflicts and
>> disagreements among the Gentoo developers. I hope that they will resolve
>> their (mainly political) problems soon. The stories have not been good
>> for the image of Gentoo, either as an organisation or as a distribution.

> Yep, I was a bit shocked when I read the news about the Code of Conduct on
> the
> Gentoo homepage. My first thought was: if a community considers it necessary
> to decide upon a document that is stating the obvious by essentially
> saying "be respectful to others instead of treating them like shit" then
> there must have been something going badly wrong beforehand.

I too was somewhat taken aback when I read the Code of Conduct. However,
when I read some of the exchanges between the developers, I understand
why a Code of Conduct was imposed. Some of the 'conversations' were
unbelievably hostile, rude, insulting and outrageously over-heated.

I fully understand that developers are rightly proud of their efforts,
and may be sometimes a little over-sensitive to criticism. However, the
tone of some of those emails was disrespectful, negative, rude, to the
point of being childishly vicious. I'm hardly surprised that Gentoo has
recently lost some very talented developers.

Before any developer roasts me, I am criticising only the savage tone of
those emails, not the people involved in these exchanges.  Believe me,
as a mere end-user I am more than grateful for the time and effort that
the developers have invested in the Gentoo project.

> This impression of mine may be wrong since I'm not informed about the
> internals of the Gentoo dev community, but I would bet I'm not the only one
> who had this - or a similar - impression.

Unfortunately, news of developer conflicts has leaked into the public
domain. This has encouraged some of the gentlemen of the press to spread
rumours that Gentoo is dying. Quite a change from when Gentoo was the
darling of the press, just a year or so ago.

Let's hope that the developer issues are solved before the rumours about
the impending death of Gentoo become reality.

Losing Gentoo would be an enormous loss to the Open Source community.

Cheers, Dave