On Thursday 05 April 2007, Marc Blumentritt wrote:
> Thanks for the answers, but to be honest, I still do not get, what
> the problem is and how to solve it. Could someone explain me, what
> goes wrong, if I use a binary package like sun-jdk?

The problem is that you can't recompile sun-jdk.

Say you have package A which needs library B. You update library B to
the next higher version, but neither library B nor it's ebuild is aware
of other packages that use or may use it. Don't try and "fix" this -
there be dragons...

revdep-rebuild might now detect that binary files in package A are still
looking for old libs that have been replaced in the meantime. The
solution is easy - recompile package A and the build process will find
and link to the correct libraries that you now *do* have. But you can't
do that with a third party binary app.

Remember that ebuild defines which *packages* they depend on, not the
files in those packages. So it's quite possible that sun compiled
something that would like to use lib-1.2.3.so and you have
lib-1.2.5.so. It all still works nicely because the shared libraries
system is designed to cope with this as an essential feature, but
revdep-rebuild will complain.

You *could* get around the problem with a complex arrangment of
symlinks, but then you'd have to maintain them. It's so much easier to
just tell revdep-rebuild to ignore the binary package altogether, using
Rumen and Neil's suggestions

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,