On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:47:13 -0700
Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I currently have an HDTV hooked up to a desktop computer running
> > > Gentoo and xfce4, all controlled by a wireless keyboard/mouse
> > > from the couch.  It's awesome.  However, I think the next step is
> > > to control everything from a laptop on the couch.
> > > How would you set this up?
> > > - Grant
> > The easy way is to use a big cursor theme and just use your laptop
> > as a remote keyboard/mouse for your TV. (in addition to stuff like
> > mythweb and the like)
> >
> > Do like so: (assuming tv runs on display ":0", which it most likely
> > does ) Get mythtv or whatever running by auto-login and startup
> > script. Assume that your tv is running as user "tv", hostname "tv".
> > From your laptop: "ssh -Y [EMAIL PROTECTED]", then "x2x -to :0 -north". This
> > makes the tv-screen look like an extension of your laptop screen,
> > situated above (north) of your laptop. Now whenever you move your
> > mouse up, out of the laptop screen, your laptop keyboard and mouse
> > controls the tv...
That sounds like a wonderful way to do this, but it certainly doesn't
count as the easiest way, easy as it is.  I think that prize goes to
simply logging into the tv box remotely ("ssh -Y
[EMAIL PROTECTED]", just like above) as the same user that has logged into X on
the
tv box.  Then set the DISPLAY environment variable to point to the tv
screen (most likely ":0") and your ssh-session screen will be the TV.
It isn't as nice as the x2x solution, but it requires nothing special
to do.  That's how I usually do it.
  -- Dan.