maxim wexler wrote:

> Too late. Damage done. I decided to go with the
> example make.conf which call the O3 level "decent".
>
>> --

Exactly what kind of damage are you talking about? Don't you think if
there was a real problem with -O3, gentoo devs would have excluded it as
an option, especially when they have an easy to apply mechanism for
doing that (I have in mind the "filter-flags" && "replace-flags"
functions in the ebuilds)? All of my gentoo systems were build using -O3
and I haven't met a single problem with this setting. Of course there
are packages (like the already mentioned OO2 and some others) which
won't build with extreme optimization and the devs have taken care of
this by forcing appropriate C(XX)FLAGS. It is my opinion that the
statements like  "-O3 is wrong and can do damage" is nothing but FUD. It
is questionable if "-O3" helps building faster packages than those built
with "-O2" but for sure it won't do damage.

--
Best regards,
Daniel