Hi!

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:02:54 -0700 (PDT) maxim wexler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After running make menuconfig 4x on a PIII,
> re-emerging --emptytree world and either booting to a
> highly unstable system or a maintenance login I feel
> it's time to call on the authorities.
>
> Don't even have gpm so I can't scroll the choice bits
> of the boot messages.

You don't need gpm for that. SHIFT-PgUp and SHIFT-PgDn can do that
too. ;-)

And the following excerpt from /etc/conf.d/rc might help in debugging
boot problems:
=======================
# RC_BOOTLOG will generate a log of the boot messages shown on the
# console. Useful for headless machines or debugging.  You need to
# emerge the app-admin/showconsole package for this to work.  Note that
# this probably won't work correctly with boot splash.

RC_BOOTLOG="no"

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.