In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Philip Webb wrote:

> 070411 David W Noon wrote:
>> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Philip Webb wrote:
[snip]
>>> I've added a line to  /etc/fstab :
>>>   '/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat noauto,user 0 0'
>> I would have thought filesystem 'msdos' would make more sense,
>> if all your floppies are FAT12.
>
> I've changed it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
>
> Further testing (all under KDE 3.5.6) reveals the following:
> Krusader needs to be root to write or delete diskette files;

Try adding umask=000 to your options list in /etc/fstab, just after "user".
This allows world write on all files and directories, just like FAT12 has
always permitted.

Take a look at
  man 8 mount
and examine the section headed "Mount options for fat". This offers other
options that allow you a less promiscuous approach to the security of the
data on your FAT floppies.

> Thunar mounts, writes & deletes ok,
> but there's a  35 sec  delay before the drive reacts
> & to update the file list you have to 'unmount' the device, then reopen
> it;

That's the filesystem driver caching the data. Moreover, it looks like
Thunar might be using mtools behind the scenes.

> Dolphin doesn't seem able to handle the diskette drive reliably,
> but it is still "testing" (Gentoo) & under active development (KDE).

I avoid unstable packages, especially when I am experimenting with hardware
and operating system configurations.

--
Regards

Dave  [RLU#314465]