Hi,

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:45:04 +0100
Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:46:42 -0500, Fabio wrote:
>
> > Well, when I started with Gentoo Linux almost a year ago, I emerged
> > --sync more than twice per week. I never experimented any damage or
> > error.
>
> I have a system here that rsyncs with three other computers every hour
> and the disk is still good after several years, so the traffic
> from a paltry portage sync should do nothing but give the disk a
> little healthy exercise.

I like this theory. I think bad blocks on HD's (and I guess noone here
is talking about flash disks or writable DVD media) occur almost
independent of usage. So if bad blocks occur, there might be a big
chance that it happens in a portage sync simply because there's a lot
of file writing/deleting and thus there's a bigger chance that it
happens in that moments. If that was true, it is likely that the errors
hit portage's files with a probability that corresponds to the
percentage of sync (and due to the "test": emerge) I/O vs. general IO.
On a gentoo system, there's probably a lot of disk I/O simply because
of portage. This might explain why there's that feeling that a sync
might hurt.

And, the good side of things: If this theory holds valid, the errors
are likely to hit portage -- not all that bad, a resync and
everything's fine again :-) The harddisk will cure the problem by
allocating spare sectors (as long as available).

-hwh