Mike Markowski wrote:
Tony Stohne wrote:
hehe, there are some experienced guys (& gals?) on the list.
I'm 44...

I'm also 44, have been using Unix since 1981 and still have my hardback
book on the PDP 11/70 and my K&R C book from then.  I remember being
told not to run 'vi' when too many people were on because it would slow
the machine down.  :-)  (Bad info it seems, but funny now.)  My first pc
unix was in 1991 and I forget if it was BSDFree or FreeBSD.  X11 dist
was X386.  I'm pretty sure the OS was version 0.1.  I remember loading
floppy after floppy after floppy to get the os on, then it took a long
time for X to start up with the disk grinding away.  I also remember
earlier days as a teen never being able to convince my parents to spring
for the $500 TRS-80 or Heathkit...  :-)

I remember the TRS-80! I also was brought up on the CBM or Commodore PET (green screen with cassette tape drive). I started programming in early 1983 using BASIC on the Commodore PET. Same CPU as the Apple IIe (and Apple IIc). The release of the Commodore 64 was a God send, with my first real option to write graphics and sound code along with eventually writing my own assembler because I couldn't afford to buy one ;-) 64KB was SO MUCH MEMORY back then! Oh yes, I am 35 years old.

Tom Veldhouse