On Monday 16 April 2007 16:23:34 John covici wrote:
> Well, here issomething which might help -- output from update-eix.
>
> Reading Portage settings ..
> Building database (/var/cache/eix) ..
> [0] /usr/portage/ (cache: metadata)
>      Reading 100%
> [1] /usr/portage/local/layman/gnome-experimental (cache: eix*
> [/usr/portage/local/layman/gnome-experimental])
>      Reading 100%
> [2] /usr/portage/local/layman/mozilla (cache: eix*
> [/usr/portage/local/layman/mozilla])
>      Reading 100%
> Applying masks ..
> Database contains 11558 packages in 149 categories.
>
> Now why is it still reading from the non existent directories
> /usr/portage/local/layman/gnome-experimental and
> /usr/portage/local/layman/mozilla ?  I am reasonablyy certain if we
> can solve this, my problems will be solved.

Because by default eix doesn't purge it's cache. You can do so manually by
removing /var/cache/eix. I thought there was a configuration option
in /etc/eixrc to change this behaviour too but I can't seem to find it
again.. The "cache: eix*" means that it's aware they no longer exist outside
the eix cache. In either case this is entirely unrelated to portage itself.

--
Bo Andresen