I think you need to try running a real benchmark like bonnie++ against both.

For example, you run "time dd" but you don't include the "sync" in the time...

Daniel Iliev wrote:

Neil Bothwick wrote:
Hello Daniel Iliev,

Actually I'd be glad to read some results from a "Fake RAID-0 vs LVM"
tests. My bet would be that RAID-0 w/o LVM would give the best speeds
Omitting LVM isn't an option, I'd lose all the flexibility that LVM
offers. I don't see why RAID-0 should be necessarily more efficient than
LVM, unless there's something superior about RAID-0's striping
algorithms. I could do some before and after tests, but I'd first have the
reformat the filesystems to remove any effects of fragmentation.

If no one comes up with a good reason for keeping the RAID, I'll get rid
of it, running bonnie++ before and after.

Hi, Neil!

Out of curiosity I made some tests which confirmed my expectations. What
about you - did you have time (and wish) to take some performance
benchmarks? I would be glad to see some additional results.

I'm attaching my tests in file called "bench.txt".

echo y | mdadm -C /dev/md9 -n2 /dev/sda11 /dev/sdb11 -l0
mkfs.xfs /dev/md9
mkdir /test
mount /dev/md9 /test
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/test.rnd bs=1M count=1500

time cp /test.rnd /test
real    0m44.981s
user    0m0.036s
sys     0m6.967s

sync

time mv /test.rnd /test
real    0m47.514s
user    0m0.047s
sys     0m7.077s

sync

time mv /test/test.rnd /
real    0m53.863s
user    0m0.060s
sys     0m8.885s

mdadm --stop /dev/md9
pvcreate /dev/sda11
pvcreate /dev/sdb11
vgcreate test /dev/sda11
vgextend test /dev/sdb11
vgdisplay | grep 'Total PE'
 Total PE              1686
lvcreate -i2 -l1686 -nlogvol test
mkfs.xfs /dev/test/logvol
mount /dev/test/logvol /test

time cp /test.rnd /test

real    1m12.183s
user    0m0.039s
sys     0m9.570s

sync

time mv /test.rnd /test

real    0m51.643s
user    0m0.044s
sys     0m7.275s

sync

time mv /test/test.rnd /

real    1m54.937s
user    0m0.047s
sys     0m9.556s

=================
BOTTOM LINE:

cp /test.rnd /test
LVM:        20.78 [MB/s]
RAID-0:     33.41 [MB/s]

mv /test.rnd /test
LVM:        29.04[MB/s]
RAID-0:     31.56[MB/s]

mv /test/test.rnd /
LVM:        11.11[MB/s]
RAID-0:     27.84[MB/s]

Strange: I repeated the last LVM test because it seemed to me as a low
performance peak, but the result was again very low:
time mv /test/test.rnd /

real    1m27.775s
user    0m0.050s
sys     0m9.813s