Hi,

I have here an AMD64 (32-bit installation) with a MSI K8N-Neo2FX
running.
Gentoo is installed on a serial ATA drive.
lspci says:
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Serial ATA Controller (v2.5)
(rev a2)
00:0a.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Serial ATA Controller (v2.5)
(rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AGP Host to PCI Bridge
(rev a2)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev a2)

I i try now to enable DMA transfer with:
hdparm -d1 /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

So my first thought was, check kernel for the right driver.
But nv_sata is selected (statically).

I checked dmesg and found:
nv_sata: Primary device added
nv_sata: Primary device removed
nv_sata: Secondary device removed
ata1: dev 0 configured for UDMA/133
scsi0 : sata_nv
ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0)
scsi1 : sata_nv
  Vendor: ATA       Model: ST3250820NS       Rev: 3.AE
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05
SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda

I boot my system with grub and had the option from the installer
"doscsi" in the boot params.

Must I use a different driver for that sata controller?

Thx a lot for help,
Matthias

Rich Cook