On Apr 19, 2007, at 7:14 AM, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 06:20:37AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
snip
The MacBook installation instructions contained pointers to some internal [3] and external [4] sources which were helpful. These other pages mostly focus on doing a 32-bit install so I've been searching high and low for a kernel.config for a 64-bit build known to work on a MacBook Pro. I tried creating one myself but it doesn't boot. Grub (0.97 installed via "emerge grub-static" per the handbook) displays my customized 2.6.20 + mactel patched kernel but the boot attempt results in a black screen and no hard
 drive activity. I'm at a bit of a loss to troubleshoot this.
(snip)

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Apple_MacBook/ Configuration_Files#Kernel_.config

Works perfectly for me, although I ditched 64 bit for 32 because of
ndiswrapper for wireless. The madwifi-ng people are working on getting
the wireless working and have a beta trunk in the works. However, that
(as far as I know) does not work with any type of encryption just yet.

So are you saying it is not necessary to have CONFIG_X86_64=y in the kernel configuration file to get a 64-bit system? I know I'm exposing my ignorance here but it seems odd that the kernel config you pointed me to on the wiki will produce a 64-bit kernel when all the config lines specify 32-bit.

??

cr