On 4/19/07, Jerry McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hey Chris....

Would you take the time and post what motherboard the Supermicro is plugged
into and whether you are running 32bit or 64bit Gentoo?

Thank you, in advance.

--

Jerry McBride

Sure thing. :)

Mobo: Asus P4S800-MX

1x Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 (replaced 2x Promise SATA300TX4)
1x Promise SATA300TX4

The Supermicro is hooked into just a normal PCI slot, not PCI-X.  I'm
sure there is a performance hit but I can't notice it if there is.
The 8 drives hooked to it are hooked via 2 multilane cables to an
external enclosure.  The Promise is driving 4 drives in the server
itself.   This is the cable kit I bought 2 of:
http://www.cooldrives.com/multilane-adapter-kit.html

Gentoo is installed on a small 20g drive (hda).

I'm running a 32bit Gentoo.  I upgraded from 2.6.17-r8 to 2.6.19-r5.
The reason was .19 had the Marvel SATA driver in it.  mv_sata or
sata_mv, I can't remember offhand the right way to type it.  I just
compiled (with genkernel) the Marvel driver into the kernel, and
booted up the box with the Supermicro installed and my Raid5 array on
those 8 disks was back up with no issue.   I originally built the
server with the 3 Promise cards in there.  when I found out about the
Supermicro card, I looked in my config for .17 and did off hand see a
Marvel driver but it was in the .19 one so I upgraded.

This frees up a PCI slot so I can put in a gigabit nic since the built
on nic is only 10/100.  :)

I know of others that are running uber raid servers with multiple of
those Supermicro cards installed in a system.  I know of at least 1
person on some boards I peruse that is running with 30 drives w/ 4 of
them in a box.   But I don't think he's running Gentoo. :(

Promise as a PCI-X card as well but it won't work in a normal PCI slot
like the Supermicro one will.  Plus the Promise card is more
expensive.

# lspci
<snip>
00:09.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC40718
(SATA 300 TX4) (rev 02)
00:0a.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 09)

Hope this helps.