On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 11:30:47PM +0100, Mick wrote:
> > iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed key hexkey essid local_wireless_wap channel
> > 11 rate 54M
>
> Try managed in lower case - may make a difference.

I tried that, just to be sure. Same result.

> Also, I assume that where you have "key hexkey" you specify a hexadecimal
> number?  Also, have you set up your /etc/conf.d/net correctly with regards to
> using the correct module for wep/wap (wap_supplicant)?

Yes, it's the full hexadecimal number.

> > Here is dmesg:
> [snip...]
> > wlan0: encryption modes supported: none
>
> You need to define the encryption mode and module as suggested above.

I have tried that as well and have copied settings and iwconfig lines
from other systems that are working perfectly, so I don't believe that
is the problem. I think it's something with the module itself, I just
have no idea what.

--
  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://oddprocess.org

Gentoo Linux x86_64 Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165
12:04:52 up 78 days, 1:52, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00