-----Original Message-----
From: William Kenworthy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 5:42 AM
To: gentoo-user List
Subject: [gentoo-user] dhcpcd is too noisy in syslog

Since a recent update to dhpcd, my logs are filling up with these
messages (every 30 seconds).  The previous version wasnt so verbose, but
I cant see where to modify the behaviour of the newer version - there
seems like there is no quiet flag.  Any suggestions?

Apr 22 20:34:22 moriah dhcpcd[19738]: eth0: renewing lease of
203.59.216.218
Apr 22 20:34:22 moriah dhcpcd[19738]: eth0: leased xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for
60 seconds
Apr 22 20:34:22 moriah dhcpcd[19738]: eth0: adding IP address
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24
Apr 22 20:34:22 moriah dhcpcd[19738]: eth0: adding default route via
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx metric 0

Maybe there is something I'm missing but the first line says that dhcpcd is
*renewing* the lease on eth0. If that's in fact what is happening every
30-60 seconds, then there is something wrong with what dhcpcd
received/interpreted the lease duration to be. The second line seems to
confirm this in that dhcpcd believes it leased the received address for 60
seconds. It looks like either the dhcp server's lease duration is badly
misconfigured, or dhcpcd is not interpreting the data it receives from the
dhcp server correctly wrt lease duration.

Regards,
Bob Young