On 4/25/07, Hans-Werner Hilse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:53:54 +0530 "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have an underpowered system which runs mythtv.

Machine architecture?

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model name      : VIA Samuel 2
cpu MHz         : 533.501
cache size      : 64 KB
flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx pni 3dnow

In the kernel config this shows up as Via C3 processor...

CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -m3dnow -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"

USE="... mmx 3dnow  ..."

> 1. On a i686 machine generated the binary packages using tips
>     from this list..
> [...]
> So what is wrong with this approach ?

Nothing. It works just fine (I did this enough times before). You just
probably didn't match the CFLAGS and/or MMX/SSE USE flags to the
"underpowered system" but compiled your binaries for the faster
architecture.

I guess you are right. for i686 system I have

CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

If I recall correctly now , //proc/cpuinfo shows this as a Pentium4 with
flags showing sse sse2 .

Even the gentoo i686 livecd does not boot on the mythtv system. Just
after uncompressing the kernel, system reboots.

I think I will have to use a  rescue CD of some sort.

thanks
sathish

-hwh