Michael Sullivan wrote:
/etc/inti.d/mysql stop
rsync -av --delete /var/lib/mysql/ newbox01:/var/lib/mysql/

And this method will preserve all granted permissions with their
passwords?  That would be great!

It would. I've been moving mysql the very same way on my bsd boxes. Just stopped the database, verified if there is no process accessing the files in /var/db/mysql (default storage for bsd) and moved it. This applies for the same/similar versions of mysql.

But I was also boxmoving mysql from version 4.0.x to 5.0.x. On that occasion I had to do dumps, verified them etc. Simple rsync would not suffice.

Martin