Hi there!

My motherboard or CPU just died, I am using a replacement system
for a while. It's an Athlox-XP, while I had an AMD-64 before.
I did not use 64 bit mode, but I have -march=k8 in my CFLAGS,
and get lots of illegal instructions. Seems I need to re-compile
everything with different CFLAGS, maybe -mcpu=k8 maybe this time
as I am planning to re-activate the old system some time.

What would be the best way to do this? I thought about unpacking
a stage1 tarball, changing CFLAGS, calling bootstrap.sh and doing
an emerge -e world, but this would overwrite things in /etc and
clutter my file system with more things I do not really want,
like creating entries in /dev. I would rather like to keep the
current setup as it is.

I think that I saw a howto once about what to do in such a case,
but at that time I did not need it, and now I cannot find it.

BTW: What exactly are the benefits from using march instead of
mcpu? Is there a noticeable difference in speed anyway? With mcpu
I would not have the trouble I am having now...

        Alex