Hi all,

First, I did a google search to see if I could find out anything that
might help.  My patience wanes after a number of searches so, you'll
have to pardon me 'cause I'm looking for a quick answer if anyone knows one.

I just got a brand new Dell Inspiron XPS laptop.  It came with Windows
Vista and I never set it up - I did get to the initial screen for
setting it up, but that was because I wasn't quick enough on the draw
hitting F2 to get into setup.

Anyway, I followed the Gentoo Handbook, like I've done numerous times.
On booting the live CD, my hard drive is recognized - it's a SATA drive.

Following all the steps in the Handbook, I got no error messages.  When
I get to the part where I install the bootloader, it installs okay.  I
have 4 partitions sda1 is boot, sda2 is swap sda3 is / and sda4 is home.
 My /boot/grub/device.map file shows as: (hd0) /dev/sda.  When I boot to
the hard drive, the boot process gets to the point where it says:
Determining root device ...

Then it says:
/dev/sda3 is not a valid root device

I probably did something wrong, but I've started from scratch 3 times
and I get the same problem.  I've used genkernel and it looks like sata
support has been built in.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Colleen