On 4/30/07, Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Montag, 30. April 2007, Holla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to install my own version of the kernel (2.6.18.3)
> which i have compiled and installed. This is working fine.
>
> But when I try to do 'emerge system', portage is
> trying to emerge linux-headers also. How can I prevent
> it ?

why? Why do you want to prevent it?

OK, I get it now. I was under the (wrong) impression that
the kernel headers should match the kernel installed.
So, if portage is trying to install linux-headers-2.6.17
it is because that is the stable headers for 2.6, right ?

I even went to the extent of doing a
   make headers_check
   export INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/usr
   make headers_install

in the kernel build directory.

I see this is stupid now..

Thanks
sathish

You know, that the in-kernel headers should not be used?

> Also , when using a homebrew source, how do I install
> the linux-headers in /usr/include ? just copy the directory
> from the kerenl source, or symlink it ?

You don't. Really. The kernel headers which come with the source tarball are
not a good choice for userspace. Don't do it, you don't have a compelling
reason. And if you have a very good reason for the in-kernel headers (like
app X needs them), it is a bug.