quoth the Roy Wright:

> Is there any way to recover?  Or do I just have to take the hour or two
> and recreate my menu structure?

Perhaps try kappfinder...or perhaps use the desktop settings wizard to change
back to default state if kappfinder doesn't work.

> Is this clashing of menu structures normal between window managers?
> If so, any tools for backing up the menu structure?  Or a way to tell gnome
> to use kde menu structure?

I believe this is because of the 'freedesktop' standard[1] or whatever. From
what I have gleamed from various mailing lists it creates more clashes than
integration (I cannot speak personally on this as I don't run Gnome). Though,
I of course may be wrong here.

> Also I don't understand how or where the menu structure is defined on
> disk.  Any good references?

Have a look in ~/.kde/share/applnk

As for docs on this: ???...

> TIA,