> about your problem - do make menuconfig and recheck
> your driver and fs
> settings.

It was a driver. In the 2.6.16 config under
#
#SCSI low-level drivers
#
I had this: CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_NV=y

But for the 2.6.20 this option has been moved to
#
#Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental)
drivers
#

and shortened to CONFIG_SATA_NV.

So I set it to 'y' and the PC booted no problem.

FWIW, this particular panic resulted in a complete
freeze up. Keyboard useless. No scrolling possible.
But the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LEDs blinked off and
on at ~1 sec intervals. Which I hadn't noticed before.

-mw