On Thursday 03 May 2007, Colleen Beamer wrote:
> > string? (I.e. when there's something like "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" or so,
> > the values aren't freely configurable but must match a valid video
> > mode for the framebuffer driver in question -- most of them use
> > those from the "modedb"). Also, you'll need not just framebuffer,
> > but framebuffer console support, too.
>
> I use genkernel and there is a screen resolution of something that
> says 1024x768 and I can't edit it.  I also don't know what my
> horizontal and vertical sync are because it's not in my documentation
> and when I used ddxcinfo-knoppix -hsync, it returns 0 0 and
> ddcxinfo-knoppix -modlines doesn't have a corresponding mode for my
> monitor - the resolution is 1920x1200.

This is about setting the video font size in a virtual console, right?
You need to change the "kernel" line in your boot loader for that, or
hard-wire it into the kernel - there's a selection for that somewhere
deep in Graphics Drivers or some such. make menuconfig and hunt for it
like the rest of us have to do ;-)

My kernel line in grub looks like this:

kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda3
video=vesafb:mtrr:4,ywrap,[EMAIL PROTECTED] CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
resume=swap:/dev/sda2

You use genkernel, so you'll have extra stuff. The important bit is
video=vesafb:mtrr:4,ywrap,[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Adjust to match your resolution, and make sure you use a real vesa
resolution that your card supports. More info can be found at
/<kernel source>/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,
Pessimists say the glass is half empty,